Friday, September 3, 2010

4 Weeks

Four weeks post baby and life is good. Challenging, but good.

Lilah has had a couple developments this week. First, she has learned to coo and say ahh. Oh how I love those sweet baby noises. Much more pleasant than her regular grunt. Also she smiles. I know it seems early, but she really seems to smile in response to people. It was even confirmed by an unbiased, non-family member. Haven't caught it on camera yet, but I'll keep working on it. The other change we noticed this week is that she is balding - right on the top of her head.  I suspect she'll be like Elise - bald for a long time and then a blond.

Elise is doing really well this week. She's been a good listener for me and has seemed happy. The big challenge with her is that she is the most dependent child ever. She literally will not play by herself. She's never been good at playing independently - I think it has gotten a bit worse with Lilah's arrival - she doesn't want me spending time alone with Lilah. Elise would rather sit beside me and watch me nurse than go play. It can be a little taxing - playing "Wizard of Oz" with her can get a little old after a couple hours. Hopefully as more time passes and she continues to feel more secure about her place in the family, she'll give me just a little bit of space.

Wes and I continue to adjust as well. It is a lot of work right now - we often think, will we ever be able to relax again?! The interrupted sleep seems to be catching up with me. Around 6 p.m. every night, I start feeling a little cranky. Lilah is still up two to three times a night - she usually goes 3 hours, then 2 hours, then 1 hour. I'm ready for a four hour stretch, or at least for her to do several three hour stretches.

IU football kicked off yesterday. Lilah attended her first tailgate party, but sadly she didn't make any pictures. She was sleeping away in her car seat.  Elise went with Wes to the first half of the actual game. The picture of all the ladies are friends from church.

1 comment:

Hillary Redden said...

Those first couple of months are so tiring! Hang in there!Parker smiled early too, so much earlier than Cole did. Maybe second babies do that!? You look great!