Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Faith - In Loving Memory of Nicki Baker

I knew Nicki from my church youth group - the Donut Shoppe. Nicki was beautiful, fun, talented, and spunky! I write this in her memory.

To write about my faith openly is scary for me. I am not an outspoken person about anything. Faith is such a sensitive subject. But, as I think about Nicki, I know this is one thing I can do in honor of her memory that really matters.


Nicki was a follower of Jesus Christ. The verses she listed on Facebook regarding religion are:

Matthew 25:35 - For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,


and


I Corinthians 2:2 - 2 - For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.


It is impossible to understand this tragedy. It is so terribly sad. Words cannot express.... However, I have hope. I have hope in the promise of Jesus Christ. My faith as a Christian isn't about Christian culture; it is not about politics; it is not about arrogance. It is about 'Jesus Christ and him crucified.'


As a follower of Christ, this is what I believe (all scripture from the Bible).



for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (Romans 3:23)
For the wages of sin is death, (Romans 6:23)

God made him who had no sin (Jesus) to be sin for us, so that we might become the righteousness of God. (I Corinthians 5:21)

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perrish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

...and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement,[i] through faith in his blood. (Romans 3:24)



I won't pretend that when terrible things happen, my faith isn't rocked. I don't have all the answers - I don't pretend to. But, I do know that I cannot imagine enduring tragedy like this without hope in Jesus Christ.



Nicki gave her life for her Maddie. She loved her daughter. This is just a glimpse of the love Jesus Christ has for us - to give his life and take on our sin for us.



Here is a description of what I hope for beyond this world and what God promises.



Revelation 21:3-4

4He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."



And so I must choose to say:

I Corinthians 15

55"Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?"[h] 56The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.


In Loving Memory of Nicki Baker

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I knew Nicki from birthing classes at BABS. From the short time I had with her, i thought she had a great personality. We just found out of her illness and I just recently read about her passing away. I hope to attend any services held for her. please let me know of any if you hear of them. She will be greatly missed.

Helena and Elise said...

Hi Bridget, Not sure how to reach you, so hopefully you'll check back here. This is what I know so far about services for Nicki. If you are on the "Support Nicki Baker" site on facebook, info will be there. Glad you had the chance to know Nicki.

CELEBRATION SERVICE - Monday. We have not firmed up the time. This is the earliest we could get Sherwood Oaks Church where Nicki was going. Stay tuned. If anyone has multimedia expertise we would welcome your assistance.
__________________________

Hillary Redden said...

Beautifully written, Erin! Our faith in Christ is the only true hope we have!